Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 4 and part of Day 5

Day 4 found us in a new blind in search of impala

We awoke on Day 4 to the coldest morning of the trip. There was a slight frost on the grass at the ranch. Today Dad would warthogs while hunting with Joe, Heather, PG, and Pula as they were looking for kudu. The best place to hunt warthog was in the open valleys below the brush hills that the kudu favored. Michelle and I were up at 600 am to meet Daniel at 630 for an early start as the previous couple days as we spooked blue wildebeest off the water as we pulled up. Even though most of the plains game moved more once the sun was up and things started to warm, we wanted to be in the blind at first light in hopes of getting a crack at wildebeest. We would be sitting a different blind today in an area that wildebeest and impala frequented. As we pulled up, we noticed a thin layer of ice on the pond so we made sure we unloaded an extra layer from the truck. This new blind was in a smaller valley so my view for glassing animals was not as great but I was still able to glass impala, eland, and waterbuck on a distant hillside. We had a few new species of birds to keep up entertained until the animals began moving. After a couple hours in the blind, Michelle picked up two impala rams heading our way. As they approached, Daniel let me know that one of the two rams was a shooter so I grabbed my bow off the hanger and prepared for a shot. As the two rams made it in to the pond, they began to drink on the far side. I ranged them at 45 yards and attached my release to wait for a good angle on the bigger of the rams. Just then, the rams bolted. They began snorting and whether they caught our wind or noticed something wan't quite right, they weren't happy and they began circling our blind about 100 yards out. When Daniel asked if I wanted to shoot the larger ram with the rifle, I passed but Michelle was interested so we got her set up. Although it wasn't the most ideal set up, Michelle steadied on the ram as I tried to get the right angle to video and Daniel was describing which of the two rams to shoot. Michelle squeezed off  a shot but we could not tell if it was a hit. As they circled behind the blind, Daniel and I spilled out the back of the blind to get another look before they made it in the brush. Unfortunatley they made it to quick so we grabbed the rifle and headed into the brush tracking the rams. The brush was so high that Michelle and I waited as Daniel ran back to get the truck so we could follow the rams. Daniel wanted to get a good look at the rams before they mixed in with a larger herd. As we caught up to the rams, we were not able to see any signs that the bigger ram was hit. As they made it in the herd, we began to sort through the herd looking for the same big ram, or another big ram but with so many moving animals it was tough.
The ostrich egg we found while chasing impala

As we followed the herd through the brush, we rounded the corner and found an empty, but unbroken, ostrich egg. We couldn't just walk on by so we stopped and picked it up. After securing the egg, we were quickly back on the trail of the impala. One ram and two ewes headed back to the spot we first started this morning. As we got back above these impala, Daniel told me to take a shot if the ram stood still. We finally caught the ram sneeking out underneath us but fortunately, we were ready and waiting. Since the brush was so high, we had to jump into the back of the truck to give us enought elevation for a shot. Even though I would shooting off the Triclawps this time, I could not fully open the tripod legs so as Michelle held them to give me more stabilization, I slowed the sway as much as possible and squeezed off a shot at 180 yards. The report of the hit was followed by a 50 yard dash and we quickly lost the ram in the brush. Daniel said it was a perfect hit so we made our way down the hill to search the brush. Sure enough, another heart shot and I had my impala ram down! With a soft and beautifully tri-colored hide this was yet another beautiful and great trophy and my first with a rifle. We made the call, took photos, and headed back to our blind. Andres the skinner brought us lunch and hauled the ram back in for caping and skinning.
Daniel and I with our 3rd trophy, a beautiful impala ram!!
Michelle's first encounter with impalas, her story is yet to come!!



We spent the rest of the afternoon  in the blind and had visits from gemsbuck, more impalas, and waterbuck but did not fire another shot. Our usual evening drive back produced sighting of steenbuck and duiker but still no shot opportunities. The other group had great encounters, including one big kudu bull that did not produce a good shot opportunity, so no shots were fired. Oh well, tomorrow would be another day!!











Day 5..
Today would be another great day both in the weather and the hunting. Daniel and I went back out to yet another blind in search of blue wildebeest. I was beginning to get the feeling that these animals will elude me on this trip. Each day as we watch the herds of blue wildebeest, we keep making plans on how to be at the right water when they decided to show up. Of course, they always seem to be at least one step ahead and are always where we "should've been". Not to worry, we would be persistent and be ready when the opportunity arises. Daniel and I are back in the third blind at first light again. This time, the action would start sooner. As Daniel and I wait patiently, it only takes about an hour before we have our first animals in range. However, this was not our usual opportunity. As Daniel is looking out the front of the blind, he sees two steenbuck chasing each other around in the wide open valley ahead of us. This in not uncommon, but it's the first time I get a good look at these tiny antelope in the daylight. Daniel says if they come back through I could get a shot with the 30.06 as they are over 200 yards out. As I keep looking, I finally see the two steenbucks heading back across the valley. I grab the rifle as Daniel whistles to stop the two. Daniel tells me to shoot the second one as it is a good ram. I can't seem to get a steady rest and I'm too scared to pull the trigger without getting a better sight picture. The two rams start off again but another whistle by Daniels stops them. I tell Daniel to get ready and slowly squeeze off a shot. Thump! Even I was suprised by this one! 246 yards with a less than ideal rest, a fast dropping 180 gr 30.06 bullet, at a target just a bit bigger than our jackrabbits and I was able to score a perfect shot. It was no suprise that the little antelope fell in its tracks. We quickly run out and get the steenbuck, snap a few photos, then hop back in the blind as we can see blue wildebeest on the horizon.

One of the most beautiful animals we harvested and the smallest!!
Daniel and I snapped a few quick photos and jumped back in the blind to wait for blue wildebeest


Blue wildebeest watch the waterbuck just outside of our blind
 
A few hours later, one of the trucks stops by to haul my steenbuck back to the ranch. As they are leaving, Jornam tells Daniel that there are blue wildebeest headed for our first blind so we grab our gear and make a quick dash to the upper blind. As Daniel drops me off, I began to put our gear in our "old faithful" blind as he heads out to hide the truck. This is the same blind that I have arrowed my kudu and gemsbuck out of. On my second trip back in the blind I take a peek out the side window and see wildebeest a few hundred yards out. I am worried they'll see Daniel or I so I begin to move the rest of our gear in with a litte more stealth. A few minutes later I can hear Daniel running back. He seen the wildebeest when he parked the truck so he ran  the long way around to get back and had to crawl into the blind to avoid detection. We watch the wildebeest and can see two big bulls with the herd but we are not so lucky right now and they all bed down in sight of the blind. One extremely long hour later, waterbuck appear at the water from the opposite side of the blind. This does not sit very well with the wildebeest so the entire herd begins to move towards the water. I get ready with my bow but as the wildebeest make it to the water, we cannot find the bulls. We have wildebeest a mere 15 yards away but neither of the bulls has come in. Daniel searches the herd as I wait but they are nowhere to be found. The herd drinks and wanders back out to a couple hundred yards and beds down again. We still cannot find the bulls so Daniel believes they have bedded in the taller grass so we continue the wait.
My archery blue wildebeest, 4th trophy
 Another long hour passes and as I am writing in my journal I can hear the wildebeest coming back in for another drink. This time, I can see that the bulls have re-appeared so I motion to Daniel that I can see the bulls. I slowly grab my bow and get ready. The bulls are both working through the herd harassing younger bulls and cows. Daniel picks out the bigger of the bulls and whispers to shoot when I can get a clear shot. This is not as easy as it sounds. There are around 50 wildebeest in the herd and of course the one I want is swallowed up by the rest. All of a sudden, the waterbuck show up again which gets the wildebeest riled up. I finally get a range of 25 yards on the bull and as the herd starts to seperate a little, I can finally get a clear shot. As the bull has also moved a bit, I estimate he is now 30 yards so I settle my pins accordingly and wait for the right angle. As the other wildebeest clear, I release on the bull and as we seen with the gemsbuck, my arrow skips across the dirt after passing completely through the bull. The entire herd runs off but my bull slowly follows. I learn just how tough these animals are as I watch as the bull pumps blood out of both sides, an obvious double lung shot, but refuses to go down. At a hundred yards out, he stands and watches the herd. Daniel motions to grab the rifle to make sure the bull does not get back into the herd but by the time we are out of the blind, the bull finally goes down. How exciting!! Our opportunity for an archery blue wildebeest finally materialized and we made it count. It's now 4 shots and 4 trophies!! These animals were bigger than I expected and have a very cool striping to their hides. With a beautifl mane and heavy horns, these are very cool trophies. What a feeling to be persistent and finally be rewarded with an exceptional archery trophy!!
In 2 years, this is the already the 8th animals I have harvested with my Mathews Z7!
Another of our family photos
Daniel and I teamed up on another great hunt!!
Day 5, Michelle and Dad's hunts, coming soon. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing info. Keep up the good work...We hope you will visit our blog often as we discuss topics of interest to you
    trophy lists

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Mr Benjamin Lee service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to Mr Benjamin service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to this funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 5 working days just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% rate and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact this funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on { Lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete