Friday, July 26, 2013

Day 3.. An archery Gemsbuck and the first Impala



Day 3 and the wind has finally let up. As Joe and Heather were playing Springbuck Cowboy, Dad and I would continue our hunt for plains game. Day 3 would see Michelle join Dad on his hunt. Although sitting in the blind would be the most effective approach for archery hunting, it doesn't offer the most ideal situation for getting out and seeing the rest of the country and the number of animals seen is often higher than at the water so Michelle was ready for a change of scenes. Together with Jornan, Pula, and Ashleigh, the group would work their way around the ranch in search of spot and stalk opportunities. Daniel and I would head back to our blind and today we would bring along a 12 year old boy names Denzil. After breakfast we would seperate and meet back at the lodge for dinner.
Dad would be the first to strike today. As the group made their way around Mt. Carmel, Jornam was able to pick up a herd of impala feeding on the face of the mountain. They continued to work around the mountain trying to get a better look at the herd. Finally the group was able to find the right angle and as Jornam looked the impala over, he was able to pick out a good ram in the group. Jornam, Michelle, and Dad set off on foot to work through the brush to try and close the distance. As the group crept forward, the unexpectedly bumped other animals which got the impala moving. Fortunately the impala had not picked up the three as they were still  in the thick brush. As the group closed the distance, Dad finally picked up movement 50 yards out. Jornam picked a path to find a shooting lane and as they made it in to that lane, Dad got set up on the shooting sticks again. As the rams start filing through the opening Dad stood ready and waited for Jornam's call on which ram to take. As the second ram came through, Dad got the word he was waiting for and as the ram cleared the brush, Dad fired one shot and brought the beautiful ram down. Dad's shot seem to be a bit off but nevertheless, another one shot-one kill for Dad. Today, he was fortunate to have the photographer with him and the group was able to get some fantastic photos despite being on the side of Mt. Carmel and in thick brush. What a beautiful specimen!!!
Dad and his third trophy, a great impala ram


Dad and Jornam teamed up again for this ram

Dad and crew with his ram


As Dad and his crew enjoyed success, Daniel, Denzil, and I were sitting in the blind watching the usual parade of plains game coming in for water. As we pulled up to the blind, we spook wildebeest away and the usual waterbucks were at the water for some time this morning. As I do my usual pacing, glassing, sharpening my broadheads (the skinners returned my broadhead from yesterday's kudu and after honing the edges, I put it on a new arrow and replaced it in the quiver) and writing in my journal Denzil watches in what seems to be complete fascination. He watches everything I do with great focus. I show him how my range finder works and he is hooked for the rest of the day. He spends countless time glassing and ranging everything in site with it. As Denzil and I are looking through pictures on my digital camera and watching elk video that I have on my video camera, Daniel hisses to get my attention. Daniel has spotted a lone gemsbuck that has just left the cover of the bush and is headed our way. Although it is several hundred yards away, I put the gadgets away and make sure my bow is ready. The gemsbuck must be thirsty as he makes his way into the water without much hesitation. About 100 yards out we can tell its a bull and as it eventually starts drinking a mere 16 yards away, Daniel getsa long enough look to ensure it is a mature bull. Daniel whispers that I can shoot when I get a good angle. The calmness that I had up to this point rapidly left the building and I got the nervous shakes again. Thankfully the bull spent some time watering which allowed me to recompose my nerves. As the bull finished drinking, he made his way around the blind and charged at the waterbuck to scare them off. As the bull paused to admire his work, I got a range of 25 yards and drew my bow. I had to wait for the waterbuck to clear from in front of, and behind, the bull but as they did, I finally had my chance. As I picked a spot and released, we all watched the arrow completely pass through the bull and skip out to around 100 yards. The bull flinched and turned to walk straight away. It was obvious he was hit hard and it wasn't long before he fell over. Amazingly the bull fell within 20 yards of where my kudu has expired almost 24 hours ago. The same broadhead had done its work on two animals with almost identical results!!

My second trophy, an archery gemsbuck

Michelle and I with the gemsbuck that fell in almost the same spot as my archery kudu bull

The crew!!


Denzil and I. Denzil was not shy when it came to taking photos!!
Denzil, our new hunting partner


After our photo session, we had lunch in the blind. Denzil spent some time capturing his version of the gemsbuck hunt in his native language in my journal. I may not be able to read it very well but it's a cool reminder of the time we spent with Denzil in the blind. We spent the rest of the day hunting but neither Dad nor I were able to  harvest any additional animals on Day 3. With continued success, we had another great time sharing stories and photos at dinner and made plans for Day 4, in which we harvest several more trophies. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment