Sunday, March 14, 2010

Brown Gold!!

We gave shed hunting another try this weekend. Things are so wet and muddy it really limits where you can go. (Most importantly, it keeps some of the ATVs out right now) On Saturday, my wife and I loaded up the boys and went to a spot that I thought might have some potential. We gave it our best but walking was difficult for us, let alone my four year old. The only one that didn't get muddy up to their knees was the youngest, and that's only because I hauled him around in the back pack. After a few hours, we gave up and headed home. I spent this morning cleaning and packing my hunting truck so the wife and boys could head to NM. After they got on their way, I headed out for what I thought was going to be a little walk. Since I only had my 2 WD truck, I had to park on the main road and walk an extra couple miles just to get where I wanted to try. I left the truck full of energy at 1:30 pm. I was finally in good sign, at 4:30 pm, when I had to turn around. Of course, when I was furthest from the truck, I finally glassed up a brown horn. I got carried away looking for the other side and it quickly starting getting late. I didn't think I was going to make it back to the truck until 10:00 pm. Fortunately Chad called and offered to come pick me up and take a few miles off of my trip. I made it to Chad's truck at 8:00 pm and put on 12.9 miles. I ended up finding the match to my first horn about 1.25 miles away. Sheer luck!!! As I was on a death march to make it to Chad's truck, I stumbled across a 3rd shed. I didn't have time to look around for the match as it was starting to get dark already. Chad and I put a tape to the horns, and estimated a spread for the set, and came up with 365". The single side doubled with the same spread would be around the 370" mark. I love finding antlers in sets. Counting by two's is the way to go. You can guess where I'll be this coming weekend.


The first one, tines down.
Match to the first horn, about 1.25 miles away.
Third one, deceptively big, 57" main beam.