Tuesday, March 30, 2010

3 Great Days

Hello all, this is Art again. Its hard to find a place to start but let's give it a whirl. The last 3 days have been action packed around here! I got a kitchen pass from the wife to get out shed hunting with my brother so we planned an early start in a unit we used to do alot of shed hunting in. This area has never produced big sheds for us but it has always given us great numbers. Things started off with a bang when we picked up our first brown of the day on our drive in, right off the road. I love those kinds of starts. We ended up with  20 sheds that day with 4 of those being brownies. In the afternoon, as were driving to a different spot, we jumped a big lion off of it's kill. When I say jumped it, I really mean it. We actually heard the lion jump from a juniper tree a mere 15 feet from the truck. The wind must've masked our noise because we startled him as much as he did us. All lions look big at 15 feet but this guy was a brute. After making a few phone calls, we were able to get a hold of Floyd Green of OUTDOORSMAN, http://www.outdoorsmans.com/ , and we made plans to meet early the next morning to give the dogs a run at the lion. Floyd and Julie Green, Joe Mitchell, and Alan Hamberlin met with my brother and I and we spend the better part of the day following the dogs around as they trailed the tom. This was my first experience with dogs and I'm hear to tell, it was absolutely unbelievable!!! Even though the river swimming cat pulled a fast one on us, Joe and I enjoyed watching Joe M. and Floyd's dogs work the trail. I'm still at awe on how good these dogs were and how much Floyd and Joe actually think like lions. If you've never seen a pack of dogs work every square inch of dirt and every blade of grass for the slightest scent of a lion, even with the howling winds we had, you wouldn't fully understand why I was drop-jawed amazed. Had the river not been running so hard with ice cold, snow melt-runoff, that old lion would sure have been in for a fight. We finished our 3 days off with another shed hunting trip. Joe and I loaded up my kids and met Chad and his two kids for a day out in the woods. We done well considering we were just trying to learn new area while trying to keep the kids entertained. We were able to pick up a four more browns and a few white horns as well, including a nice 6x6 set that Chad and I teamed up on, and another whopper of a shed. I'm convinced my kids are good luck because we've been fortunate to haul in some giant sheds over the last couple weeks. You want to see how excited we still get, check out the video. It's like watching kids at Christmas time. Then watch as we try to teach 4 kids how to synchronize, or not synchronize in this case. Hilarious!! We hope you enjoy the video and pics as we sure enjoyed making them!!!