Saturday, August 20, 2011

One and done!! Opening day success in AZ's 2011 Archery deer season

Mossback AZ Guide Arthur with his opening day 2011 Archery deer

Ha ha!, it's gonna take me as long to do this post as it did to bring my archery deer season to a heart pounding start.  Since I spend so many days in the field chasing bulls, I'd figured out the bucks in this area but had yet to scout them this summer. Thursday night I made up my mind to start in this area as I have chased some nice bucks in the past. 15 minutes after first light, I spotted a nice buck feeding on a ridge 300 yards out. Knowing that he'd feed my way en route to the thick ridge behind me, I slowly kept myself in line with him. He was traveling with a spike but since he was leading the way, I thought my chances were pretty good. As luck would have it, he feed right up to me and I was able to get an arrow in him at 35 yards. Unfortunately he jumped my string and I ended up hitting him just a touch back. Knowing he needed time to bed, I backed out and went to pick up my wife and boys so they could help me track him. After 3 hours we picked up the track. With good blood on impact but a rapidly diminishing trail, I figured he was gonna need time. I tracked him right up to his bed and was able to get another arrow in him but I hit low on the shoulder and he sprinted off. Fortunately he ran right back towards my wife and boys so they were able to keep track of him as he walked over the hill. We left the area again to give him time to bed again. 6 hours later and with the help of a good friend Mike, we took up the trail again. Slow but persistent tracking led us right to  where the buck had bedded for the last time. I spotted the buck laying beneath a juniper so I had the boys follow the track until they found him, giving them a great thrill to find dad's buck. I was very tickled to harvest this deer as this is the first year in a long time that I did not draw a rifle tag. It also gives me the opportunity to hit the hills again in search of giant bulls. Enjoy the pics




My boys trying to drag the deer out!


Gonzales Family photo!!

Mike U. came out to help on the final track. Thanks Mike.

Future hunters!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment