Sunday, February 28, 2010

THEY CAN'T FIND THEM ALL !!!

Here's a couple pics and short video clip of our shed hunting trip this weekend. Fellow Mossback guide and brother Joe picked us up as my hunting truck is out of commission with a broken leaf spring (hauling to much game and antlers). Weather started out nice then got cold and windy. I had my youngest son in the backpack so we had to tame our hike down a bit. We thought we'd glass an area that we usually do well in but over the last couple years, its been getting hammered by everyone that owns a quad. We knew we were early so we mainly just glassed to see where the bulls where hanging out. We seen 58 bulls, including one herd of 37, but none had dropped yet. The big herd fed up and around us as we glassed so my boy was jazzed to see them all filter by (he kept calling them deer??). Before we left, we walked a feeding area that usually gets pounded and on our way back to the truck, I glassed these bad boys up. I think being so close to the main road, 400 yards, and the fact that they were both tines down, allowed them to stay undiscovered for about 4-5 years. They are a great set with the left side being the stronger of the two. The right side only grew 5 points but had awesome character on the 4th. This is one of the heaviest sets of sheds I have found, the left horn was 15 pounds and the right was 14 pounds. The left horn scores 175" on a mere 50" beam, with 32" of mass. This shed has similar character to one that I picked up in the same area with my 4 year old. My son was holding the deer shed that Joe found and when I told him this set was his, he wanted to hold them as well, HaHa. I've also thrown in a pic of both boys with their sheds. The season has just begun....


Yep, they're not brown but they'll do.



1 comment: